It was in 1947 when the desire of Lambunaonons to establish a general high school was born into reality. The then municipal council headed by Mayor Helarion Castigador with Vice Mayor Hipolito Larupay and councilors Jose L. Caspillo, Alberto Senador, Francisco Roncesvalles, Anacleto Latañafrancia, Nemesio Lingaya and Andres Loot facilitated the realization of the site donation.
The campus has an area of 90,499 square meters donated by Mrs. Martina Hablado-Lauron; Mrs. Sotera Lauron Castigador, Mrs. Teofila Lizada-Lavilla and Mrs. Lorenza Lizada-Losañes.
After the signing of the deed of donation, the building of the Lambunao Junior High School with a general curriculum was constructed. It started operation with three rooms made of Nipa and Bamboo. Mr. Conrado Jalandoni was its first principal and Mr. Agustin Alibusa as its first PTA President. Mr. Vicente Roco took over the leadership in the year 1950-1952.
With the hope of giving the youth of Lambunao better chances of employement and a promising livelihood after graduation, the idea of converting the school into a trade one was conceived. Mr. Jose Gonzales, the then principal presented the idea to Congressman Ricardo Y. Ladrido and the members of the council headed by Mayor Rafael Lacuesta with Vice Mayor Ramon Manzanida and the members of the council Atty. Valerio Lauron, Serafin Librodo, Agustin Legarda, Oliva Camacho, Ernesto Legayada, Carlos Leyble, Dolores Lebrilla and Jaime Limoso prepared the resolution.
Congressman Ladrido, considering the resolution of the municipal council, prepared the bill converting the school into a vocational one on June 16, 1956. Republic Act 1795 defined the conversion of Lambunao High School into Iloilo Vocational High School signed by President Ramon Magsaysay. It was the first general high school to become a vocational institution in the country.
Congressman Ricardo Ladrido in effect was named father of Vocational Education in the Philippines.
The school was managed by Mr. Jose L. Gonzales under the supervision of the Division Superintendent and the control was given to Iloilo School of Arts and Trades.
In 1970 the school was renamed Lambunao Vocational School to give recognition to the town of Lambunao. Vocational courses such as Furniture, and Cabinet Making, Building Construction, Industrial Electricity, Sheet Metal Works, and Industrial Ceramics for the boys; Food Trades, Dressmaking and Handicraft for the girls were offered as major courses.
After Mr. Jose L. Gonzales, other principals and vocational school administrators followed, like Mr. Alfredo Pineda, Mr. Leon Alicer in an acting capacity and Mr. Gregorio Loreno.
It was in 1977 and the term of Dr. Godofredo Gallega as Administrator when the school was changed into Lambunao Institute of Science & Technology. LIST operated as a trade school offering secondary, tertiary courses and the curriculum in Master of Arts in Teaching Vocational Education (MATVE).
When Dr. Gallega was promoted as Vocational School Superintendent II of Antique School of Arts & Trades (ASAT) now Polytechnic State College of Antique (PSCA), Mr. Jose E. Esquera occupied the vocational school administrator’s seat. Upon Mr. Esquera’s retirement in 1986, Dr. Petronilo L. Figueroa assumed office. The school then sought conversion to a full- fledge senior college institution as embodied in House Bill 14778 authored by Congressman Ligurco Tirador of the 3rd District of Iloilo. LIST’s operation as a tertiary education institution was affirmed bu the General Appropriations Act No. 7077 of 1991. In line with the conversion of the school into a full-fledge college institution, the position of the instructors and specialists were upgraded including that of the head for which Dr. Petronilo Figueroa became the first Vocational School Superintendent.
It was during Dr. Figueroa’s term when the LIST Graduate School and the ROTC became an independent unit. Majority of the course offerings were college courses with the Commission on Higher Education as the controlling body. The secondary department later was allowed 500 students only.
When Figueroa retired from service, the then Vocational Instruction Supervisor III, Dr. Agueda S. Lavilla took the post.
Republic Act no. 8292 known as the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Modernization Act identified LIST for integration to West Visayas State University.
The school operated as of November 23, 2000 under the supervision of WVSU and was renamed West Visayas State University Lambunao East Branch.
The integration defined the transfer of the secondary department of the school to the Department of Education particularly the Lambunao National High school and the position of the Vocational School Superintendent was changed into a College Administrator. As the Transition period progressed, the school was renamed West Visayas State University Lambunao Campus (WVSU-LC).
The retirement of Dr. Lavilla brought Engr. Harlan C. Dureza to the seat of the Campus Administrator whose first year of reign was marked by the success of the second grand alumni homecoming in May 14, 2005 which was attended by 75% of the alumni from all over the world. The present set-up of the school offers a very promising future to the youth of the Third District or even of the neighboring Districts in the Province and in Region VI.
The productive, fruitful and progressive years of existence and the identity of the former Lambunao High School way back 1947, is presently rolled into one resounding and giant name in the field of education in the 3rd District of Iloilo the West Visayas State University Lambunao Campus.