The coming into being of the West Visayas State University (WVSU) dates back to 1924 when it became an independent and distinct teacher training institution known as the Iloilo Normal School (INS). However, its birth can be traced back as early as 1902 when it was opened as a tributary normal school with secondary school instruction.
In 1916, it was a secondary school complete with elementary and training departments. It was only, however, in 1924, with the completion of its main building (now Quezon Hall) and the laboratory school building when INS became a distinct educational institution itself. The year likewise, became a kick off point for a more established secondary normal school program, which eventually became a two-year collegiate training program and still later in 1952 a four year normal college course.
In 1954, through RepublicActNo. 375, the Bachelor of Science in Education major in Elementary Education was granted. It became a pioneer and premier teacher-training institution in Western Visayas, a prestige it continues to enjoy with academic programs catering to local and global needs. Truth to this is its being named Center of Excellence (1994) by the late Sen. Blas P. Ople and Center of Excellence for Teacher Education (1995) by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).