The West Visayas State University – College of Agriculture and Forestry (WVSU-CAF) started as the Iloilo National Agricultural School (INAS) and established through R.A. No. 478 signed by President Elpidio Quirino on June 10, 1950. This was authored by Congressman Ricardo Y. Ladrido and Congressman Jose Aldeguer (4th and 5th District of Iloilo, respectively) as House Bill No. 38. Presidential Proclamation 322 provided the site reserved for the campus covering a total area of 3,478.98 hectares. The first batch of students (all boys) in the Secondary Vocational Agriculture Program were enrolled on September 25, 1951.
On June 18, 1964, R.A. No. 4016 was signed by President Diosdado Macapagal converting INAS to INCA (Iloilo National College of Agriculture). This paved the way for the offering of the Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSA). In June, 1977, the College started to offer the Bachelor of Science in Forestry (BSF). Through P.D. 2019 signed by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on January 27, 1986, INCA was integrated with the West Visayas State College (WVSC, La Paz, Iloilo City) to form the West Visayas State University.
Presently, WVSU-CAF is the leading institution in Agroforestry education in the region. Its Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSA) and Bachelor of Science in Forestry (BSF) programs were accredited Level II Status by the Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities of the Philippines (AACCUP) in November, 2001. The present thrust of the College, among others include Biodiversity Conservation where it has established the Mari-it Wildlife Conservation Center for endangered animals’ species of Panay Island such as the spotted deer, wild pigs, hornbills, parrots, and cloud rats.
By June of 2006, the College will start to offer the Master of Science in Forestry, Master of Science in Agriculture and Ph.D. program in Agriculture.