1. Media consumption and public engagement : beyond the presumption of attention by Nick Couldry (Author), Sonia Livingstone (Author), Tim Markham (Author)
Democracy is based on the belief that the media gets the attention of voters. But is this plausible in an age of multiplying media, disillusionment with the political system and time-scarcity? This book addresses this question, and charts experiences of ‘public connection’.
2. Qualitative research for physical culture by Pirkko Markula (Author), Michael Silk (Author)
This book provides a guide to qualitative research methods in the multidisciplinary field of physical culture. Developing an approach based on the ‘7 Ps’ of research, this text navigates a pathway through the research process that will be invaluable as a teaching tool and to experienced and inexperienced researchers alike.
3. How to Stop Bullying in Classrooms and School: Using Social Architecture to Prevent, Lessen, and End Bullying by Phyllis Kaufman Goodstein
The premise of this guidebook for teacher educators, school professionals, and in-service and pre-service teachers is that bullying occurs because of breakdowns in relationships. The focus of the 10-point empirically researched anti-bullying program it presents is based on building and repairing relationships. Explaining how to use social architecture to erase bullying from classrooms, this book
- translates research into easily understandable language
- provides a step-by-step plan and the tools (classroom exercises, activities, practical strategies) to insure success in building classrooms where acceptance, inclusion, and respect reign
- examines the teacher’s role, classroom management, bystander intervention, friendship, peer support, empathy, incompatible activities, stopping incidents, and adult support from a relationship perspective
If every teacher in every classroom learned to apply this book’s principles and suggestions, bullying would no longer plague our schools and educators could give 100 percent of their attention to academics.