WVSU in the Frontline of Social Transformation:
An Institutional Blueprint for Educational Quality and Excellence
By: Dr. Luis M. Sorolla, Jr.
University President, WVSU
Education in the 21st century witnessed amazing breakthroughs in educational paradigm and strategies. The advent of technological and scientific advancement ushered the “Age of Information” which fostered globalization of education. It is characterized by rapid information flow, new strategies in the learning and sharing of expertise and resources among the teachers and learners worldwide.
In response to these rapid changes, the Commission on Higher Education formulated the Roadmap for Public Higher Education Reform. Such reform intends to improve efficiency, upgrade quality and enhance access to higher education. To do these, the CHED Roadmap articulated programs for rationalization of SUCs, programs and resources; strengthen Quality Assurance; upgrade faculty qualification; upgrade leading SUCs to international standards; modernize developing SUCs and strengthen Student Financial Assistance Program.
Against this backdrop, WVSU as the lead university in Western Visayas is at the frontline of these educational changes, technological breakthroughs and social reforms. From being a secondary normal school at the start of the century, it became the Iloilo Normal School (INS) in 1924. In 1965, it became the West Visayas State College (WVSC) through R.A. 4189. In 1986, it was converted into the West Visayas State University (WVSU) by virtue of P.D. 2019 with satellite campuses and later acquired a hospital now known as the WVSU Medical Center.
The growth of WVSU as an academic institution is an account of academic leadership in instruction, research, extension program and resource generation. With the expansion of its operation, it also enjoys the prestige of numerous achievements as a testimony to the quality of education it provides.
The West Visayas State University is the biggest and the most comprehensive state university in the region leading the rest in responding to the challenges of the knowledge era in the 21th century. It fully support the country’s thrust for sustainable development at the same time promotes environmental preservation while developing socially conscious citizens who will stay on the course of “Matuwid na daan”.
WVSU as the center for educational excellence in the Visayas and the hub for Human Resource Development in the Asia-Pacific region.
WVSU is committed to provide holistic education geared towards sustainable growth for national development. It shall produce global citizens and professional leaders through advance studies, expand the frontiers of knowledge through relevant researches, facilitate community upliftment through responsive extension programs and generate resources through progressive operation.
The major focus of WVSU shall be the development of competent and conscientious human resource and professional leaders in the various fields of discipline who will be the catalysts of change for a better Filipino way of life.
- From Vision to Situation
A comprehensive framework and inspiring leadership will enable the university to realize its vision-mission for 2013-2017. This will make WVSU as the Visayas Center of Excellence for all the educational needs of its clients and stake holders.
The roles envisioned for the university is to be:
- The developer of leaders in the field of professional, scientific and technological, health and economic fields.
- The lead university in building manpower infrastructure producing highly qualified graduates for social, economic and technological advancement.
- The generator of new knowledge making it as the center for innovation and creative endeavors.
- A model for a “green institution”, the champion of environmental protection advocating sustainable development.
This vision intends to create the following situation in the university by the year 2017.
- WVSU will be the Center of Excellence in the field of Teacher Education, Health and Allied courses, Information Technology, Agriculture, Mass Communication Technology, Science Education, Graduate Education and other fields within its mandate.
- All of its programs will be accredited with most of them in the 4th level accreditation.
- It would be ISO Certified for having it programs, system and procedures standardized and subjected to quality assurance audit. This would indicate that the internal efficiency and effectiveness in the over-all management of the university is strengthened.
- A stronger linkage of the university with the local and international organizations is forged to enhance its position for global competitiveness.
- There will be a more functional coordination with government, industries, companies and other employers to update curriculum content and facilitate relevant instruction.
- Faculty members will be more effective and proven competent in their specialized fields. Majority will be recognized as experts and consultants by other organization. Many of them will be authors of books, instructional materials and teaching manuals.
- The stakeholders - faculty, students alumni and community leaders – will be more active partners in the governance and operation of the university, thus, contributing substantially to the over-all growth of the university.
- As the center for research undertakings, it will generate new ideas and knowledge which will be further transformed into innovations for a better life.
- It will be an effective catalyst of change to fast track social upliftment through workable extension programs and community outreach services.
- With these, WVSU will be the haven of the “best” students - those who excel academically and are scholarly in their educational pursuits.
- From Mission to Action.
With such visions for 2013-2017, WVSU has a very crucial and significant role in the development of human resource in the region and in the country. Guided by its mission, it will produce competent graduates and productive citizens and leaders who will be at the forefront of social and economic development. It will continuously train and develop world class professionals - teachers, entrepreneurs, physicians, nurses, scientists, technologist, agriculturist, business leaders, government workers and environmental advocates who will be the strong pillars for the development of the Filipino society within the framework of the global community.
STRATEGIC PRIORITIES AND ACTIONS
Against the backdrop of the vision-mission the development prospects of the Visayas area and the service-oriented leadership of the applicant, the following are the strategic priorities to be articulated into appropriate programs and projects:
- Development of Quality Graduates through Instructional Effectiveness.
- Strengthen the selective admission and retention policies and procedures
- Upgrade qualifications and competencies of faculty/staff through degree-based programs fellowships, attachments and industry immersion.
- Utilized innovative instructional delivery system such as the use of ICT and facilitate greater access to the information highway.
- Upgrade instructional delivery through enriched materials, training facilities and adequate laboratory equipments.
- Provide educational assistance to students through scholarship and housing facilities.
- Utilize cultural development and positive values orientation for the development of wholesome, refined and responsible citizens.
- Re-visit and Enrich Curricular Programs to foster Sustainable Development.
- Streamline curricular offerings to cater to the variety of existing and emerging human resource needs of the Visayas regions. Industry-driven course will be emphasized.
- Articulate Program offerings to conform to CHED requirements, TESDA training regulations, Life-long Learning and attuned to the effective implementation of the K+12 systems.
- Review and re-align methodologies to encourage competency-based, Higher Order Thinking (HOT) skills and workforce mobility.
- Actively promote entrepreneurship development through expertise sharing, training and financial assistance to potential student entrepreneurs.
- Consolidate the best practices from within and outside the University for possible adoption and sharing with others.
- Intensify Research Capability and Diversify Extension Activities.
- Continuously conduct research capability building training to improve faculty competencies.
- Encourage innovations, inventions and creative works and provide protection through sound policies on Intellectual Property Rights.
- Intensify the conduct of research studies, both institutional and in consortia/collaboration with other organizations and publish/utilize outputs for improving lives.
- Transfer matured technologies developed by the university to the community through relevant extension programs.
- Conduct Life-long Learning Education and Training programs to the barangay in collaboration with the local leaders.
- Improve Productivity through Efficient Utilization of Resources, Sound Fiscal Management and Resource Generation.
- Emphasize efficient utilization of resources through austerity in the use of utilities, proper waste disposal management and advocating personnel accountability.
- Rationalize the financial management to emphasize on budget for cost-effective and disbursement on-time.
- Conduct investment analysis and exercise equity in resource allocation.
- Formulate a functional system of performance audit and cost-benefit analysis of programs and projects.
- Expand production activities and Income-Generating activities.
- Seek external funding through linkages and networking to obtain donations, trust and endowments for scholarship, research, extension and training activities.
- Strengthen External Linkages for Productive Partnership.
- Revitalize and expand linkages with, GO’s and NGO’s, LGU’s and other organization for resource sharing, mutual cooperation and partnership in beneficial undertakings.
- Strengthen consortia and academic cooperation with other educational institutions for knowledge expansion and build partnerships for non-academic endeavors.
- Strengthen the International Linkages to keep abreast with world trends and avail of development opportunities along human and material resources.
- Support the organizations established by the faculty and personnel in pursuit of welfare programs and activities with educational values.
- Foster Management Effectiveness and Collective Responsibility for Efficient Administration.
- Facilitate close coordination and harmony between and among the different units of the University and their elements.
- Set up a model of “Green Campus” highlighted by energy-efficient, economical, clean, orderly, healthy, gender-sensitive and wholesome campus environment.
- Ensure the safety and security of the campus and its clientele through a comprehensive security plan and maintenance of university properties.
- Improve the Internal Management and Information System (MIS) to attain efficiency in data acquisition, storage and retrieval.
- Continuously and intensively pursue the quest for excellence through accreditation, ISO, ISA and other measures of quality assurance.
- Organize and develop the pool of experts among the faculty and staff for consultation services.
- Build a Wholesome Corporate Image.
- Nurture a culture that value quality and strive for excellence in both academic and non-academic pursuits.
- Foster social accountability that places more premiums on providing better opportunities for the less privileged and the disadvantaged but deserving members of society.
- Instill the values of job commitment, institutional pride and the respect for human dignity in the work environment regardless of gender, religious belief, race or culture.
- Create an organizational climate anchored on harmony, mutual respect, fairness and justice.
- Promote the value of honest labor and of doing no less than the best in the performance of the work, function and roles in the university.
The aspiration is the driving force to action. By it, one achieves. The gist of this vision-mission articulates my aspiration to be converted into action so that at the end of the day, WVSU ACHIEVES.
|Commitment to Quality|
We Value Services Upholding,
To attain quality beyond the ordinary; WVSU must lead in academic performance.
Commitment to Quality
In all its endeavors, WVSU should commit to do no less than its best.
Everything that a university should do is for mankind’s development – it is the reason and purpose of WVSU’s existence, hence its endeavors must focus on social relevance.
Change is a must; WVSU should innovate, and never ever stagnate.
A team is effective in the way they harmonize their collective efforts; in WVSU everyone must work in synergy.
As the lead university, WVSU must have the super “vision” to meet the challenges of the uncertain future.
Unless everyone works well, the work is not well; WVSU should maximize the outcome out of the available resources.
Society is the ultimate judge of the university’s value. WVSU should is accountable to give back to society a bountiful return of its investments.
In this time of rapid changes in all facets of society, a relevant and well-meaning education is the armor that will enable our people to cope, survive and grow in this highly competitive environment. Add to that the threat of natural disaster and environmental degradation; it would take more than just the usual learning to survive, much more to achieve prosperity in this country. These make WVSU a vital institution to help push this country to prosperity.
The Iloilo City and the neighboring provinces are in the mainstream of all these changes in the country and the world. With the international airports in Iloilo and nearby provinces, this part of the country is fast becoming a tourist destination as well as an international rendezvous for important events. With the APEC Summit to be held here soon, the momentum for globalization is accelerating, and WVSU as a prime learning institute has to be a key player in getting our people ready for such scenario. A committed leadership, efficient management and effective teamwork is needed to make these things happen.
To lead WVSU towards the realization of this vision-mission is, for me, a way of fulfilling a professional obligation and an act of love for humanity. Having been given the privilege of doing it, I am there - in service to humanity and for the greater glory of God Almighty. My inspiration comes from the biblical wisdom advocating that, “He who is first among you should be the servant of all”. The University President should therefore, first and foremost, be a servant-leader advocating excellent service to the clienteles.
Having been an educator for 36 years and as an SUC President for the last eight years of my professional life, I have perceived and experienced the rigors and the challenges faced by an educational institution as it strives to fulfill its mission. My conviction now is to effectively lead WVSU in the journey to meet the challenges of the future.
In the playing field of service to humanity, you are all my team mates and the Lord God is my Coach. With His blessings and Divine Guidance, we can work together to make WVSU grow, achieve and excel.
“I slept and dreamt of happiness
I woke up and found service
So I served and I realized
That in service, there is happiness.”
My dear colleagues, let us join hands and do our best in service.