The University Testing Center was established on March 10, 2003 upon the approval of the
Board of Regents under ADCO Resolution NO. 14, S. 2003. The West Visayas State University Code under Article 151, Section 2 states that the University shall provide a systematic and continuing testing program.
The University Testing Center is one of the major student services programs committed to the welfare, growth, and development of the students.
Objective / Vision and Mission / Mandate:
In support of the Office of Student Affairs’ (OSA) objective of providing services to students that shall make them self-directed individuals, capable of facing a globally competitive work, the University Testing Center (UTC) specifically functions to:
- Assess and promote consciousness of students’ mental ability needed for realistic educational and vocational goal setting.
- Help students build a realistic picture of their selves by exploring their personality traits as revealed in their personality test results.
- Provide relevant data for use in counseling and guidance program.
Functions / Services:
Psychological testing is one of the major areas of the guidance program. Guidance counselors acquire relevant information from test results that they can use for effective counseling. Test results are further consolidated as basis for any intervention programs.
The testing center is tasked to administer psychological tests to freshmen college students. The battery of test consists of a mental ability test and a personality test. Psychometrician scores and profiles test results; interprets results individually or by group with the help of Registered Guidance Counselors.
The University Testing Center also caters clients outside the University including:
- schools/institutions requesting psychological testing for their students;
- and employees/applicants from WVSU Main Campus, WVSU Extension Campuses, WVSU Medical Center, and other government and private agencies