The College of Education of the West Visayas State University is as old as the University itself. It started out as a branch of the Philippine Normal School 1902. Originally founded to be a teacher-training institution, it was then named the Iloilo Normal School.
Because of the support it got from the provincial government, it operated primarily as a provincial high school and was called the Iloilo Normal Institute. It had three departments: the normal, preparatory and commercial. In 1924, the teacher-training department became independent as the Iloilo Normal School.